Sunday, June 9, 2013

Mt. Baldy (Mt San Antonio) Adventure





On a clear day, a snow capped mountain dwarfs the skyscrapers of Los Angeles:  Mount Baldy at 10,064 feet is the highest peak in the San Gabriel Mountains.  When a meetup posted a hike to the summit, two things came to mind...the driving distance to Mt. Baldy (where is it exactly?!) and is the elevation gain something that I could do without training?  Then the most important, IS IT REALLY GOING TO BE 90 DEGREE WEATHER?!!!  

Jeff and I decided, at the last minute, when the temperature forecast went down to the 80's, to commit and do our best!  (We can always turn around and not do the entire hike, we reasoned).  It was labeled as a 6.5 mile 2700 feet elevation gain "not an easy" hike.  Bring it!!
  
The meetup was an entire day commitment, from the drive to Mt. Baldy to the band and stargazing at the end.  We invited Jeff's daughter, Maddie too.  And off we went at 10 a.m. to meet the rest of the group at the Notch.  It takes approximately an hour and a half  from Santa Monica to get to Mt. Baldy.  Take the 10E to the 605N to the 210E.  Take Baseline exit, turn left on Baseline, then right on Padua, and right on Mt. Baldy Rd.  Follow signs to Mt. Baldy.  It will dead end at the ski lift up to the Notch.


Ski lift tickets can be purchased there, at $25 per person.  Check out travelzoo, as they were offering two lift tickets for $19 online, but they must be purchased twenty four hours in advance.  You can also check out the events offered at the Notch Lodge, including upcoming concerts and make reservations for lift tickets for that date.  I highly recommend going when they have an event...nothing better after a hike than a beer and some live music and relaxing by the fire pit!!



The Notch is at the top of the ski lift ride, and is at an elevation of 7800 feet.  By taking the lift, you take 1500 feet off of your hike!  The first mile of the hike is steep and I was thinking "this is crazy!"  but it does level off at some point and it isn't as steep.  Just think about the glute burning...thats what kept me going! Its great exercise!!  


During the "easier" part of the hike, enjoy the sugar pines and the wildflowers.  Jeff and Maddie saw a deer too!  And the views off the cliffs are breathtaking.  Be sure to hydrate every time you are winded and have to stop.  Its much easier to drink when you stop.  And that way you get plenty to drink.  Its too late to hydrate if you feel that you are thirsty!  And I never burn, but I could feel the sun on my shoulders after the first half hour, so I put on sunscreen.  
The last mile of the hike is nar nar.  There is no other word, or words for it.  Its steep, narrow at times, and you are at 9000 feet, which means that you get winded.  I would stop after 15 steps.  And you get belligerent.  Hikers were coming down, and I couldnt even move to get out of their way. My legs were like rubber.   I just wanted to get up the damn mountain!!  Every hiker on the descent had a smile on their face and words of encouragement.  I mustered a thank you...but still couldnt budge!!  There was one kid, a little tike of but 8 or 9 years old that corrected his dad when he told me that I had 15 minutes to go..."you're almost there!!"  "NO!"  the kid said.  "You will have a level area but then you have another steeper area and it is really hard.  You have about 45 more minutes!"  I almost tackled him with what the remaining strength I had!  But then as he passed me he said "but you can do it!  I have faith in you!"  I was too tired to even giggle.  But once at the summit, and after a 45 minute lunch break, you feel amazing, like you really tackled a huge hike!!  And you have!! The summit is at 10,064 feet.
After lunch, the descent was a breeze.  I didn't stop once.  I found a hiking buddy with the same pace and we talked the entire way down to the lodge.  At the lodge, I waited for Jeff and Maddie, and we sat down at the bar and watched the Kings game. The rest of our group trickled in, and the fire pit area was claimed as well as a dance area by the band.  The evening ended with a ski lift ride in total darkness.  Exhilarating!  Fun!  
You gotta do this hike, at least once!  If I can do it, you can!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment