Monday, February 25, 2013

Saddle Peak via Backbone Trail from Piuma Rd.









I know I keep saying this, but I swear the hike from Piuma to Saddle Peak is my FAVORITE!!  And by far it is the one I keep revisiting over and over again.  I don't know what makes it my favorite...is it the different ecosystems, ranging from woodlands to chaparral to fern covered rocks, or is it the amazing rock face that I scramble up on to have my turnaround celebration, with views of the entire valley below me and the swiftly moving clouds above giving me vertigo...it may be the challenge to make it up the mountain.....or it may be the amazing geological rock formations at the top....but regardless it is a beautiful hike and it seems every time I visit, it is a different experience.  



Saddle Peak is second only to Sandstone Peak in elevation in the Santa Monica Mountains.  That said, you will have an elevation gain of 1750 ft. on a  4.4 mile one way trek up.  This hike will take about 4 hours total.  It is a perfect combination of shade and sun.  However, the last part of the ascent is all sun, and the challenging part of the hike.  So bring lots of water and sunscreen to this one!  In the summer, I suggest an early morning or late afternoon hike.  

About 3/4 of the way up, there is only one junction and a chance to get lost....at the junction veer to the right to continue up to Saddle Peak.  If you go straight .3 miles, you will discover Stunt Road.  You will know you are on the right path when you hit 1.3 miles of switchbacks, but your reward is at the end! After you pass the first set of boulders that will be on both sides of the trail,  look for a boulder straight ahead with a 90 degree face.  If you turn right at the boulder instead of following the trail that will turn to the left, you will find a tiny trail that hugs the boulder, and you will be able to climb up the boulder and have amazing and private views of the valley.  I love to lay down and watch the clouds from this vantage point.  And to be honest with you, I don't continue the hike from here.  Although if you go back on the trail and continue, you will have a view of the ocean from the peak!  

From Pacific Coast Highway, take Malibu Canyon Road north approximately 4.6 miles to a stoplight for Piuma Rd.  Turn right on Piuma, and follow it up about 1.2 miles, where the road turns sharply right.  Look for a small dirt turnout, enough for two cars to park, on the right.  Park there and go back towards the turn, across the street and take the small trail that goes up to the left of the large dirt pullout.  Within 10 to 15 minutes, you should be in a wooded area and crossing Cold Creek.  

No comments:

Post a Comment